It is 3 in the afternoon on New Year’s Day. My sister and nephew should be almost home by
now. My mother and dog left long before
breakfast. Now there is only the great
cleanup to tackle. With just one more day
left to my week off from work, I have accomplished nothing I intended to
do. And I’m not talking about fun stuff like
seeing the tree in Rockefeller Center; I’m talking about chores like fixing the
moth hole in my favorite dress BEFORE I wear it again. I have, however, cooked, cleaned, set the
table and gone grocery shopping more times than I can keep track of. I have made: turkey, lobster, mussels,
pizza, fish soup, shrimp, sweet potato grits, pancakes, oatmeal and toasted
probably a million bagels among other things. I drank white wine, red
wine, prosecco, champagne, exotic cocktails and exotic vodkas. My desserts have included Buche de Noel,
lemon tarts, Belgium brownies, plain old ice cream and raspberry tarts. Need I say more?
If I can still cross off at least three things on my to-do
list I will be pretty excited, but the odds are against it. Maybe
tomorrow?
At the moment, I’m mainly thinking about all I learned over
this holiday. First, I should never forget that all our holidays are documented
by the intrepid photographer in our family.
So as I look at those photos instantly emailed around the world, I curse
myself for not remembering that, on these occasions, I should never venture out
of my bedroom without being as carefully dressed as if I was going to work. I know
that my hair has not yet recovered from the one time I cheated on the man who
cuts it. Yes, it was me who said “hair
grows” just last month. But when it’s
really, really short – and its winter – that can take months of hair just
sticking out here, there and everywhere.
I also learned that Tintin is not a dog and that Marley
& Me is a pretty funny movie, even though you know it’s not going to end
well. I learned you can balance a
gyroscope on the tip of a pencil or the tip of your nose, that cranberry sauce
stains can be removed from white linen tablecloths with help from your iPad,
vinegar, dish detergent, rubbing alcohol and diligence, and that Meat Loaf—the
singer, not the food-- is the perfect addition to one’s New Year’s Eve
playlist. And there was more, I’m
sure.
But now it’s January and the holidays that required so much
running around and dealing with mobs of people trying to do the same things you
were trying to do, are already a thing of the past. 2012 lies ahead. I’ll start my diet tomorrow, but for now I’m just
hanging out in my comfy sweat pants (with no camera in sight) thinking about
how much fun it was to spend so much time with people I love.

Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie". Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.
Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.

Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie". Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.
Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment