Kind (Self) Regards: 10 reasons to smile

Everyone loves a list, right? As we come to the end of the year, here are ten things that always bring a smile to my face, aside from the obvious joys of family and friends. This is a great exercise to reflect on what you have this holiday season. What does your top ten list look like?

1. The only exception to what I just said has to be my nephew. Because nothing consistently makes me smile more than he does, whether he’s giving me that first hug after the long drive up to visit, “making” me watch some crazy movie or telling me about his first hockey goal over the phone.

2. Dogs – I love them. I don’t have one of my own and who knows why. But a dog will always give you a little love when you need it. And get you up off your butt, running around like an idiot after a ball or stick. Given a choice between holding a baby or a dog, I’ll always choose the dog.

3. Little kids waiting at the school bus stop with their parents. To me, it seems a moment of pure innocence when there are only possibilities.

4. Skipping. You don’t see this very much anymore – or at least I don’t. But I saw a girl skipping down the street the other night and I thought that it was an expression of pure joy.

5. Many days on my way to work, I pass someone you might think is kind of scary looking – his face always hidden by a hoodie – walking a dainty, little dog. In the winter, that dog wears a sweater. I can’t tell you how much I love to see that duo.

6. The familiar. It’s not that I don’t like to try new things, but sometimes just driving down the road where I grew up, for example, makes me feel good. This is my territory. I know it. I can tell you a thousand stories about what happened here. I feel grounded and it feels good to know something this well. Dorothy said it best: "There's no place like home."

7. Vermont. I just couldn’t leave that off. For me, it’s where people and Mother Nature show their best side.

8. Emails from my friend who sold everything to buy a boat and sail around the world. He just left Africa and is heading for Trinidad. As someone who has said the familiar makes her smile, you can imagine how intrigued I am by his journey. And he’s funny.

9. Something new that changes the balance of my life. It could be as simple as changing the rug in my dining room. It could be my first angel meditation. It could be blue nail polish or an artist whose work I’ve never seen before. Anything that makes me feel like my life is in a forward, positive motion.

10. Good haircuts and great massages. Seriously. I have curly hair and I have spent countless days knowing “it will grow back.” So when someone knows how to make my hair look good, it will always bring a smile to my face. Thank you Bob. And Alissa, my favorite massage therapist and reflexologist at Aetheria. She is a goddess of massage. I might enter Aetheria with every part of my body hurting, but I will inevitably walk out grinning like the Chesire Cat.

So that’s my list for the moment. And if I could give you each a gift this holiday season, it would be at least ten of your own reasons to smile.

Happy holidays!



Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie". Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.

Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were always one of the strongest, most important influences in my life.