Learning to Live Green



My friend, Scot Weicker, read my last blog post about my internal dilemma to do what's right for the planet, and sent me an email to assure me I'm not alone. "With so many educational opportunities at Live Green Connecticut!, if everyone walks away with the knowledge of making one small change in their lives, the ripple effect will be the true measure of success on our environment and our natural resources."

Scot is the co-founder of the Live Green CT event this weekend at Taylor Farm Park in Norwalk. As an organic day spa, I signed up to exhibit at the event long ago, seeing it as an opportunity to educate the public about the benefits of organic skin care as part of a healthy lifestyle. After all, why would you put something ON your body, that you wouldn't want to put IN your body?

I really didn't realize at the time how diverse and rich with information the Live Green CT event would be. I want to see Dr. Ballard, Discoverer of the Titanic, speak about our oceans and the BP Oil disaster. The details of the disaster have pretty much vacated the front page of the news. What's out of sight, appears to be out of mind as well. But I want to know the lasting repercussions of such a heinous crime against nature; against the fishermen and their sole source of income; against the birds and turtles that nest in those protected marshlands of Louisiana. I bet that will be an enlightening presentation.

The presentation by Chef Michel Nischan will certainly empower my decision to feed my family organic and sustainable food. Chef Nischan is the owner of The Dressing Room in Westport, cookbook author and media personality, as well as CEO of the non-profit, Wholesome Wave Foundation, dedicated to the increased production of - and access to - healthy, fresh and affordable locally grown food. I'll inevitably be inspired to cook something, so it'll be convenient to have the Westport Farmer's Market on site at the event as well.

Last but not least, I hope to address my dilemma about my love of cars and the impact our choice of transportation has on the environment. In some respects, I could be worse. I certainly don't support America's addiction to mammoth-sized SUVs. It annoys me to no end that I can't see what's coming at me when I try to back out of a parking space at a store, because I'm flanked on all sides by these beasts.

Disappointing, but true: America is addicted to their cars. Most of America was created in the era of the car. 99% of us have to commute long distances to get to work. A bicycle just isn't an option. Public transportation is a fine idea if you live in the city. The 'burbs? Yeah, not so easy.

What's a Formula 1 fan girl to do? Because I'm not a fan of hybrid cars either. I've learned that the negative impact on natural resources those batteries produce do not really make hybrids a genuine eco-friendly option. But how about an all-electric Testla Roadster?



Nice!

Um, what? The roadster is $120,000?

Yeah. I'll consider that later in life when they become a wee bit more affordable.

How about a Chevy Volt?



More affordable, but not quite as sexy.

Decisions, decisions...

“People are always asking what they can do to use energy more efficiently in order to protect our environment and natural resources," says Scot. "There are so many extraordinary Connecticut companies that have the products and services that do just that. LiveGreenCT! will bring them all together so that people can see and experience first hand how it all works. From solar panels to renewable energy to environmentally friendly vehicles to green building materials and design to the latest sustainable technology, individuals and families will be able to learn, ask questions and see how these products and services can fit into their homes, their businesses and their lifestyles.”

I'm looking forward to learning more this weekend.

====================

Come visit Aetheria Spa at Live Green CT!
Saturday, September 18th, 10am-4pm
Sunday, September 19th, 11am-4pm
LiveGreenCT.com
Taylor Farm Park, Norwalk

No comments: