Kind (Self) Regards: Spring Cleaning

What is it about spring that makes you want to start putting your house into order? I am not a person who has ever had a fondness for cleaning or order, yet sure enough, comes the first warm day and I start thinking about what I can throw away. Maybe it’s the thought of moving from the darkness of winter into the light of spring…maybe it’s that notion of new beginnings creeping into your psyche…but whatever it is, I find myself once again wanting to finally get rid of all those things that are stuffed into boxes everywhere – and have been for years.

First, I’m tackling all those little samples of fragrance, moisturizer and who knows what else I’ve accumulated over the past year. I have promised myself, NOT to buy any new similar item until all those samples are gone. And while I’m at it, I’m going to throw away all those lipsticks and eyeshadows I haven’t used in years. It seems I might actually have the discipline to pull this off, and I’m feeling giddy with accomplishment every time a container goes into the trash.

But then it’s time to look at the bigger stuff and here’s where I hit a wall. I’m a big “What If” person. What if I gain twenty pounds and need that sweater I inherited from my dad? What if I buy another house and need five more Oriental rugs? What if I want to serve punch? I’ll need that punch bowl with the matching cups. I once donated two chairs to a thrift store only to buy them back because I just KNEW I would need them one day.

And that’s the beginning of the end of cleaning out clutter for me. Because from there it goes to this: Everything I own has a story. And while I might not use or even like the thing anymore, I just can’t part with the story. Here’s a painting given to me by an artist who once had me model for the cover of a romance novel he was illustrating. Here’s a red and white striped sneaker Dr. J signed when we were celebrating the 100th anniversary of “the Chuck.” Here’s a picture frame made of lipsticks that was a prototype for a never produced corporate holiday gift. Here’s my grandmother’s settee – the only thing rescued when our family house in Vermont burned to the ground. Here are some leather-bound miniature books of Shakespeare – far too small for any of us to read -- brought to America by a grandfather I never knew. And on and on and on.

When I can put together one full bag for Goodwill, I celebrate. I think of it as a major breakthrough. And yet…I really can’t imagine a life without all those stories and a little clutter seems a small price to pay for all that.

Kind (self) regards,

Vicki


Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie". Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.

Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.

No comments: