Are you completely void of willpower? I doubt it. Most people find themselves quickly tiring of the same old (and repetitive) routine. Here are a few ideas to breathe more life into your exercise routine to stay on track.
Do one different workout each week - As a Jazzercise instructor, I teach classes most days of the week, so once a week I do something completely different. Sometimes it's a yoga class, a bike ride or rollerblading. I can always ensure that there will be one non-Jazzercise workout in my week.
Try a new sport or activity each month – I strive to try something new every month. I've tried belly dancing, Tai Chi, kayaking, Qigong, surfing, zip lining, horseback riding, boxing, and next month I'm trying a fencing class. Investigate sources like www.meetup.com, or your local Continuing Education program for low-cost options.
Mix up your music - Sometimes, just downloading a new playlist of fresh music can energize a workout that's lost its zip. Surf iTunes to get ideas for motivating playlists.
Plan an exercise outing or challenge – The past three years I’ve ridden in the Five Boro Bike Tour. It’s a 42-mile ride that is a real challenge, considering I don’t bike very often. It’s also now a tradition with friends, a physical challenge and an event I look forward to every year. Have you always wanted to run a 5K or tackle a triathlon? Make a plan to go for it.
Use technology to spice it up - Surf podcasts, apps and websites for material to mix up your workouts. There is a lot of free material available to add variety to your workouts. Check out Netflix for a variety of workout DVDs to sample and you'll have new material delivered right to your mailbox.
Try an active vacation - A hiking trip, white-water rafting, or a biking trip can be a great way to get out of a rut. This summer I went hiking in the Huangshaun mountains and climbed the Great Wall in China. The majestic scenery and breathtaking views made me forget it was a workout.
Get inspired and get moving!
Kristen Hallett-Rzasa is owner of Jazzercise and InterPlay Health, LLC.
InterPlay Health is a “whole-life” enhancement company dedicated to helping women get jazzed about fitness and nutrition as a way to total wellness. InterPlay Health offers a multi-dimensional approach that’s fun, fresh and informative — integrating the energy and effectiveness of Jazzercise fitness classes with individualized nutrition and wellness coaching. Kristen Rzasa 203-845-8856 or info@interplayhealth.com
No comments:
Post a Comment