Women in a state of Flux

Never have I read a book that has impacted who am I more than Peggy Orenstein's study of Flux: Women on Sex, Work, Kids, Love and Life in a Half-Changed World.

Years ago, I was having a mid-life crisis at the ripe age of 30. I had quit my corporate day job, and had taken some time off to try and figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was really confused about life. This book "saved" me in a way. While it didn't necessarily offer me any answers to the burning questions in my head, it gave me perspective to know that I wasn't the only person on the planet feeling the way I did. That realization in itself, was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

My post-mid-life crisis path led me to become a massage therapist, and ultimately the owner of Aetheria Spa. I now deal with women on a daily basis and can say with confidence that a large percentage of my clientele have burning questions in their heads about who they are, what's expected of them as women, and what they want ultimately for themselves. When the opportunity arises, I always recommend this book to them. It's incredibly insightful.

But in 2005, I decided recommending a book wasn't enough. I coordinated an intimate girl gathering of 4 women whom I knew (but didn't know well), to come together and share their innermost fears, thoughts and joys about life, love, marriage, kids and self. With the wine flowing, and incredibly smart women at the table, it is still one of the greatest evenings I've ever spent with people in my entire adult life.

It began a tradition. One I treasure and look forward to every Spring.

It is at this time of year that Aetheria Spa hosts a small gathering of women for an insightful discussion of what it means to be a women in today's times, loosely based on the research Peggy Orenstein performed in her book, Flux. We host multiple groups during the month of April, on a weekday evening after we close, and women of all adult ages, and all stages of life are invited to participate in the discussion. The more diverse the group, the more fascinating the evening becomes. It's a well-deserved celebration of being a woman. You'll be surprised at how comfortable a feeling that can be.

Guests receive a complimentary goody bag from Aetheria for your time. All that's required of you is your honesty and willingness to share your thoughts about life with the group. Bring a friend if it makes you feel more comfortable. (ALL conversation is confidential and is not used by Aetheria - or anyone else - for any purpose.)

Interested in meeting new friends and participating? Please email beth[at]aetheriaspa[dot]com with "Flux Party" in the subject line. I hope you'll join me this Spring to celebrate the incredible, fascinating, multi-dimensional character of being a women.

No comments: