Kind (Self) Regards: What does your car say about you?

People are asked all kinds of questions on job interviews. Some questions are intended to help the interviewer learn more about your skills; others are intended to help them learn more about who you are as a person. You have to be prepared for everything. But I have to say I was surprised when recently asked to describe what the interviewer would find if they walked out and looked in my car. My immediate thought was: “A mess.” But as I started to inventory the items a different picture began to form – not of clutter, but of a person with some distinct attributes. In my car you would find:

A yoga mat – I don’t golf, ski, play tennis, etc., but yoga is another story….
CDs – love music, but not totally sold on the IPod at all times and in all places
Fabric grocery bag – yes, I try to be green, but often forget to bring it in the store
Magazines – which I drop off monthly after I have read them to a nearby nursing home
Atlas of Fairfield County – because I’m a tag sale addict
Pen, paper and blanket – to be prepared for who knows what
Stick shift – maybe not in the same category as the other items, but definitely telling

Thinking about it this way put a smile on my face. I like the person reflected in that stuff.

So what’s in your car?

Kind (self) Regards,
Vicki


Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie", Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.

Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.

No comments: