When I lost my job several years ago, like many others, I found myself in a special level of hell known as "outplacement." This is where "caring" corporate behemoths send the people who have given them the best years of their life to learn how to find a job.
In reality, the biggest lesson I learned was that I was't alone in my predicament; there were countless other talented people in a similar situation. I don't think it was a coincidence that, for most of us, we were about the same age. Regardless, several of the people I met there are now among my closest friends. Some have found their place in the market, others are still looking for a home.
Outplacement, above all, is basically a huge support group. We were there for each other, offering any help we could, whether in finding a job or just lending a sympathetic ear. One day I was talking to a smart, wonderful woman about the spiritual tragedy that I had come to realize: when I had a job, I never took the time to enjoy myself. "Like what?" she asked."What did you want to do that you didn't do?" Well, some people wanted to trek through the Himalayas, or learn to skydive.
Me? I just wanted to go away to a spa.
Now, let me be the first to say there is no bigger fan of Aetheria Spa than I. For a brief, interim solution to rejuvenating the spirit, Aetheria is where I like to call "home." I had never taken the opportunity to truly indulge. I wanted the total experience of spending several days doing nothing other than taking care of myself.
"So let's go," she said. Tempting, certainly, but then the debate began in my head: We can't do it. We have no income. Why not? We should do it while we have the time. ...No, no. We can't do it, it's too selfish.
In the end, we did do it. While it would've been nice to fly off to Bali, we compromised by choosing a place within driving distance. Wouldn't you know it, on the way there we started laughing – something we hadn't done in quite a while. We arrived to find women of all sizes, ages and incomes running around in t-shirts and sneakers. Women who were there to get healthy or make changes in their lives. Women who could relate to each other and warmly pull new acquaintances into that special circle of sisterhood. Some came to see the doctors, some to see what the Tarot cards had to say. For the two of us, it was magical. A place where we learned about chakras and had our energy blocks cleared. A place where we did Tai Chi and lifted weights.
Ultimately, it was a place where we started to heal.
We made a promise to return every year.
My life is different now. I am still addicted to treatments at Aetheria. But I am also still learning to accept the changes that were thrust upon me. And that is why, on a recent weekend, laughter again filled my car as the two of us made our now familiar way up Route 22 to Lenox, Massachusetts.
Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie". Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.
Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment