Instead, let's talk about choices. Let's talk about whether we are in control of our destiny, or whether destiny is in control of us. I'd love to poll that question among humankind and then look at the answers broken down by age, gender, geography and socioeconomic sector. What would the average Egyptian say? What would someone born into poverty in Mississippi say? I have my suspicions as to how it would go, but I'm not going to divulge it just yet -- if ever.
What got me thinking about this recently was a visit to an exhibit about the circus at the delightful Bruce Museum in Greenwich. What I saw there -- along with the Calders, Matisses and Toulouse Lautrec -- boggled my mind. It seemed that a lot of men who joined the circus in the early years ended us up as clowns, while the women tended to become human cannon balls, trapeze artists and sword swallowers. (Except for Mr. Leotard who, in the 1880’s, invented the flying trapeze act and what I guess was then a pretty scandalous item of clothing to be worn during the act.)

What in the world makes a person decide to choose one of those professions? To successfully swallow a sword, if I remember correctly, one has to get it down the one opening in the esophagus, between the lungs....gently nudging the heart aside....and into the stomach. I just can't imagine it?!
At the exhibit, I learned that Edith Clifford held the world championship title in sword swallowing for over ten years. Her most amazing feat was supposedly swallowing a nearly two foot long bayonet shot from a cannon.
Edith started sword swallowing when she was thirteen. You mean to tell me she sat down at the dinner table with her parents one evening and said: “Mom, dad… I've been thinking a lot about what I want to be when I grow up, and I’ve decided that I want to be a sword swallower”....or, did she wake up one morning snug under her covers to find her parents sitting on her bed: “Honey, we need to talk. You're getting older and it's time to think about what you want to be when you grow up. Your father and I would really like you to be a sword swallower.” Really, how does an idea like this enter a person’s head? Was it destiny?
Eventually, Edith could swallow up to 24 swords at one time. When she tired of that, she moved to Canton, Ohio, where she ran a corner grocery store with her husband, a former trapeze artist.
Somehow, somewhere, Edith Clifford decided to be a sword swallower. And somewhere along the line she realized she was good at it and -- came to enjoy it? I guess so. Now since this is February, you may also be wondering what this has to do with Valentine's Day. Simply this: It is my firm belief that whether choosing a profession or a partner you should always go where love leads you in life. And if it leads you to being a sword swallower, by all means try to be the best!
Kind (Self) Regards,
Vicki

Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie". Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.
Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment