The Price of Beauty



Random Google searches can produce the most interesting results.

I've been pondering the concept of beauty lately. As I face my 41st birthday and a few other milestones, I've been reflecting on my life. Not necessarily what I've achieved or experienced. But reviewing the evolution of my own sense of self to this point in time (in the hopes of mapping the trajectory into the future). One morning, after standing on the scale and being shocked by the extra few pounds on the reading, I looked in the mirror and asked, "Do you feel beautiful? Or do you feel fat?" I stood naked and vulnerable to the criticisms of my inner voice.

I've never really fallen prey to the abundant messages that surround us about what "beautiful" should be in our society. I'm not sure why. I've never been a fan of TV (and don't have cable now or for the last 3 years. It's a gross waste of my time). I've never admired a woman because she was on the cover of a magazine or a pop star. The women whom I admire represent so much more than superficial beauty.



Kate Hepburn (she broke all the rules of Hollywood in her day).



Madonna (not so much for her music, but for her sheer determination and her amazing business head).



Natalie Portman (who is stunning, but the chick is whip smart)

...Can you recognize the theme here?



Jessica Simpson was never on my list. Anywhere. Not even in the vicinity.

So I Googled "Beauty around the world" a couple of nights ago, and discovered Jessica Simpson's docu-series The Price of Beauty. I guess the intense criticism she endured a few years ago about her weight had inspired her to explore the topic within other cultures. She and two of her friends traveled the world in search of how everyday women in other cultures define beauty. There were many interesting lessons one could learn from her travels. (I was particularly entertained by her spa experiences in each country, of course).

Was the show produced at the depth I would've preferred? No. But I'm a "deep thinker," as a dear friend recently described me. Was Jessica Simpson the right role model to take this journey? I don't think so. But, I absolutely gained respect for the girl to ask the question and go in search of the answers. Always ask. Always seek to know yourself better. Live outside your comfort zone and amazing things are discovered.

The result of her journey validated my beliefs about beauty and myself. Though I may be a very unlikely spa owner, completely clueless about pop culture and beauty trends, I would much rather feel beautiful inside, than to conform to anyone else's definition of beauty or rules of who I should be.

Confidence is the most beautiful trait a woman can possess. Yeah, that scale in the bathroom is only a snapshot of my overall status of health. Not the whole story. And certainly not the oracle of beauty.

What matters is I feel beautiful.

Watch a couple of the episodes and you might be pleasantly surprised by how much you enjoy the journey. Once you do, which culture of beauty from the show do you identify with most? Thailand, Paris, Uganda, Morocco, Tokyo, Rio or Los Angeles? I'd love to know.

No comments: