A Letter to My Daughters


Dear M & A,

You won't understand this letter for many many years. Or maybe, you will never understand it at all. And in a way, I hope that's the case. When I look at you girls now (at 6 months and 3 years old), all I see is perfection. Golden curls. Bright blue eyes. Flawless soft skin. Grownups say things like "I'd kill for that hair, that skin, etc." You are truly beautiful and healthy both inside and out and on this Mother's Day I'd like to thank you for teaching me to finally appreciate my own beauty and health.

It's taken more than 30 years, but I can finally honestly say that I am at peace with my body now. How could I complain about a body that bore both of you? How could I moan about the blemishes or other "flaws" when I look at the two of you? Nothing would break my heart more than to hear one of you someday say "I'm too fat, ugly or plain." This motivates me to keep my trap shut when my jeans feel a little snug or I notice a blemish on my face. I shush others when they use words like "fat" "skinny" or "ugly" around one of you. Those words are considered foul in this household now. And for that I can thank you.

My own mother told me again and again that I was lovely and at times I had trouble believing her. How I wish that I had listened and not spent all that energy fretting about my appearance. She's a wise woman and the best mother one could ask for, yet she never truly got through to me. I didn't believe.

Thank you M. Thank you A. Thank you for being my inspiration to make wise choices, whether it's at mealtime, when I'm out for a run, or safeguarding some "me time" so I have a balanced life. It's you who make me eat healthier, run faster, and care. Just because. Just because this temple deserves all the love it can enjoy.

My Mother's Day wish for you: Believe you are beautiful. Because you are.

All my heart,

Mom

Stamford native Meg Robustelli, owner of Fairfield County Child, is a guest writer for the Aetherial Living Blog.

4 comments:

Kevin McKeever said...

Well done, Meg!

Mary said...

Very lovely, Meg.

meg said...

Thanks Kevin & mom! And thanks, Aetheria, for inviting me to guest blog!

irenesbooks said...

Lovely, Meg!