A simple thought, an obvious thought. But one we can so easily overlook as we rush through our lives – particularly in this “economic climate.” I’ll confess: I am currently in transition as the euphemism goes. That means I am one of the countless number of people who are looking for a new job. In my company alone, some 50,000 people lost their jobs this past year and the year is not yet over. But I digress...
Whether you are looking for a job today or have a job today (or are living with someone in either of those situations), these are not easy times. So it takes some work not to focus on the negative and find the joy. Maybe that means taking time for yourself -- time to clear your mind and find new paths to happiness. That might be a massage, a yoga class or a simple walk on the beach. Maybe that means opening yourself up to what you see and hear on a daily basis. Yes, a counting of your blessings and an appreciation of the little things. I saw a business man running across Madison Avenue drop his umbrella without any knowledge of having done so.
I saw a street person pick it up and run across the street after him to return it. I walked into a chocolate store to buy a piece of chocolate. The salesperson told me to take it as a gift and enjoy it. Every day I see little acts of kindness and every day I try to keep that universal good karma going by giving a little kindness to someone else. Yes, I have found joy today. And yes, I believe I have given it. You can too.
Kind (self) regards,
Vicki

Vicki Wray lives in North Stamford, and until recently spent most of her waking hours in New York City as a corporate communications executive. Working for companies like Pfizer, Revlon and AOL Time Warner has allowed her to meet wonderful colleagues and a slew of interesting personalities including the president of the United States, supermodels and star athletes, famous artists and a Justice of the Supreme Court. She is a natural observer, type A personality, and a life-long "spa junkie", Vicki firmly believes in the health benefits of being kind to oneself; taking a moment to breath, relax and finding simple joy in our every day existence.
Her column, Kind (self) Regards, will be a regular feature of the Aetheria Spa blog. If you enjoy her point of view, or would like to share your ideas, please contact her at vicki@aetheriaspa.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment